Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mini Gluten Free Cranberry Scones

I've recently started to really get into baking. It's not I have no experience baking, it's just that I hadn't  really been in love with the act of baking until now. 

That being said, the moment one of my co-workers handed me an entire shopping bag of fresh cranberries I immediately started thinking of how I could incorporate them into a baked good. Yea, I have a problem..well, maybe it's not as much of a PROBLEM as it is an OBSESSION. I can't help it, I just love food [almost as much as I love lamp :)].

I decided to make these little beauties gluten free because the hubby and I really should be living a GF lifestyle and have been slacking hardcore...we just love beer a bit too much..Guinness especially. If you're not into the whole gluten free thing you can easily omit the xanthum gum and replace the flour with regular all purpose flour and you'll have gluten filled scones!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
  • 1 tsp. xanthum gum
  • 5 tablespoons sugar, plus more for topping
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 2/3 cup (plus 1 tablespoon) half-and-half 
  • 1/4 cup of honey or vanilla yogurt
  • 1/2 cup halved cranberries, drained on paper towels
NOTE: I used a cookie scoop to portion out the scones.

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together flour, xanthum gum, 5 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in half & half and yogurt until moistened. Gently fold in cranberries. 
  2. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough gently, 5 to 10 times. Add more flour to surface if dough is sticking to it or to your hands.
  3. Using a cookie scoop, drop dough on parchment lined cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Brush tops with remaining half & half, sprinkle with sugar.
  4. Bake until golden brown for 12 to 15 minutes. 
  5. Let cool on wire rack after removed from stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment